If you’re an avid gamer, you may have encountered the frustrating issue of Resident Evil 4 Remake crashing on your PC during startup or launch. Don’t worry – this is a common problem that can be fixed with some simple troubleshooting steps.
If you’re experiencing a Resident Evil 4 crash on startup, it’s important to take action quickly to get back to playing. In many cases, this issue is mainly caused by incompatible system requirements, graphics driver problems, problematic game components, corrupted game files, and misconfiguration.
In this article, we’ll walk you through some effective solutions to resolve the issue and help you get started with playing this classic survival horror game on your PC.
How to Fix Resident Evil 4 Remake Crashing on PC on Startup/Launch
To fix your Resident Evil 4 Remake crashing on PC on startup issue, the first thing you can do is to;
- Ensure that your PC meets the system requirements of Resident Evil 4 Remake.
- Disable your antivirus and firewall temporarily.
- Enable the high-performance mode if it is a laptop.
- Make sure that you are not overclocking the CPU and GPU.
- Install game components like DirectX Runtime & Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
If the problem still persists, then try the following potential fixes.
1. Verify the Game Files Integrity
First & foremost, verify the game file integrity because if your game files are missing, corrupt, or damaged, Resident Evil 4 Remake crashing becomes an unavoidable problem. This method has been proven effective by many players and hopes it works for you too. To do so, just follow the below steps;
- Open Steam > Click on Library > Go to Home.
- Right-click on Resident Evil 4 Remake > Click on Properties.
- Go to the Local files tab > Click on Verify integrity of game files.
Wait for a while to finish this process.
2. Update the GPU Drivers
If the RE 4 Remake crashes on your PC on startup, then you’ll need to do is update your graphics card drivers. Once you’ve installed the updated drivers, try launching the game again and see if the black screen problem has been resolved. In many cases, this should do the trick and get you back to playing Resident Evil 4 Remake without any issues. To update the GPU drivers, follow the below steps;
- Open the Device Manager again and expand Display adapters.
- Right-click on the graphics card, and click on Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for drivers and update the driver.
We recommend downloading Driver Easy to update your graphics card driver. This tool is capable of identifying any problematic drivers and updating them in a more efficient manner.
Unlike the device manager, it has the ability to update and install all drivers with just one click. Furthermore, it boasts a more extensive database which allows for more efficient detection of the latest drivers.
3. Force Use a Dedicated GPU
In case your PC has two GPUs, then switch to the dedicated GPU on which you want to play the game. This can help you to resolve your issue. To do so, just follow the below steps.
- Right-click on the desktop screen.
- Open Nvidia Control Panel.
- Go to 3D Settings.
- Click on Manage 3D Settings.
- Open Program Settings.
- Select Resident Evil 4 Remake from the list.
- Select High-Performance Nvidia Processor as the preferred graphics processor for this program.
- Make sure to save changes and reboot the PC.
- Right-click on the blank desktop screen.
- Open Radeon Settings.
- Head over to Additional Settings.
- Go to Preferences.
- Click on Power.
- Click on Switchable Graphics Application Settings.
- Select Resident Evil 4 Remake from the list (If the game is not visible, select Add Application to include the game)
- Select High Performance from Graphics Settings.
- Finally, reboot the PC to apply changes.
4. Clear Cache
If you’re experiencing the frustrating issue of being stuck on the loading or launch screen while playing the new Resident Evil 4, there’s a simple and effective solution that you can try. Clearing the Steam download cache has been reported to be a highly effective method to fix this issue. To do so, just follow the below steps;
- Open the Steam desktop app.
- Click on Steam from the menu and go to Settings.
- Go to the Downloads tab, and then click on Clear download cache.
- Restart Steam.
5. Play the Game in Windowed Mode
According to some gamers, playing this new RE 4 Remake in Window mode rather than the full screen can solve this infinite loading screen issue. However, you can apply this method if you can access the game. Here are the steps to follow:
- Launch the new Resident Evil 4 Remake.
- Go to Options.
- Navigate to the Graphics Settings.
- Now, change the Display mode to Window or Borderless Window from Full screen.
- Save the settings.
- Relaunch the game.
6. Close Unnecessary Background Tasks
To improve your system’s performance and avoid in-game lags, it’s advisable to close any unnecessary background tasks. This can be achieved by following a few simple steps, which can have a significant impact on your gaming experience. By reducing the load on your system resources, you can ensure that your games run smoothly and without any frustrating issues like framerate drops or stutters. So, take a few minutes to close any unnecessary tasks and enjoy a smoother, more enjoyable gaming experience. To do so, just follow the below steps;
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on Processes and check which task is consuming higher resources.
- Just click on the particular process and select End Task to close it forcefully.
- Make sure to do the same steps for each third-party app process that is consuming higher resources.
Once done, close Task Manager, and restart your PC.
7. Update Resident Evil 4
To avoid potential crashes and other issues, it’s important to check for game updates manually via the Steam client. This will ensure that you have the latest version of the game and that there are no conflicts with launching the game.
Don’t let an outdated game patch version ruin your gaming experience – take a few minutes to check for updates and keep your game running smoothly.
- Open Steam and go to Library.
- Click on Resident Evil 4 from the left pane.
- Steam will automatically search for the available update.
- If there is an update available, click on Update.
- Make sure to wait for some time until the update completes.
- Once done, ensure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
8. Perform a Clean Boot
Performing a clean boot on your PC can fix system boot-up issues by preventing resource-heavy tasks and apps from starting up. This has been reported to work by multiple users and can improve your overall system performance. To perform a clean boot, follow the simple steps below and enjoy a smoother, more efficient PC experience.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig and hit Enter to open System Configuration.
- Go to Services > Click on Hide all Microsoft services to enable it.
- Now, click on Disable all so that the rest of the services gets turned off.
- Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Next, go to Startup > Click on Open Task Manager.
- Click on the Startup tab > Ensure to select the specific task that has a higher startup impact.
- Now, click on Disable to turn it off.
After applying all these steps, just restart your PC.
9. Disable In-Game Overlay
Background-running third-party overlay applications can frequently lead to conflicts that impact the launch of a game. This is because these apps consume a substantial amount of system resources, much like the processes necessary for starting the game. To disable an in-game overlay on steam, just follow the below steps;
- Open Steam.
- Click on Steam on the menu and go to Settings.
- Go to the In-game tab.
- Uncheck Enable the Steam overlay while in-game and click on OK.