Does Avast using too much CPU memory of your PC and you want a clean solution to Fix Avast service high CPU usage issue. If you are seeing avast using 100 disk then you might want to look into avast behavior shield memory. There are many reasons due to which you are dealing with avast high disk usage or avast service high CPU usage.
Luckily, in this post, we will fix the avast service high CPU usage problem. These easy to use troubleshooting steps will help you to solve Avast antivirus service high CPU usage problem on Windows 10/7. If Avast is using CPU even in idle position then follow these steps.
Why is Avast Using So Much CPU Disk?
Avast antivirus is a resource-demanding tool. Avast service performs different operations i.e. background scanning, full virus scan, virus removals, and cleanup. No doubt, these processes are very useful but sometimes they become so annoying that you will try to disable avast.
Avast service high CPU usage problem is one of those reasons that compel users to uninstall avast. When you run task manager you will see (avastsvc.exe) on 32 bit system you will see avastsvc.exe avast service (32 bit).
Another reason why Avast uses too much CPU is incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry. You can also check the ntoskrnl.exe process which consumes a huge amount of RAM as well as CPU.
How To Fix Avast Service High CPU Usage or Disk Usage Issue
Solution -1 Remove Avast Cleanup Tool
The Avast cleanup tool is the most important component. It mainly acts as a real-time scanner and helps users to free space covered by the background running apps. If you are seeing avast service high CPU or memory usage problem, then it might be this cleanup component.
Tip- if Avast cleanup is not working, then try to reinstall it.
So it is best for you to simply uninstall Avast cleanup. To do that
- Double click on Avast to open it.
- Navigate to Settings and click the Components tab.
- Now click the downward-facing arrow next to the component tab. Here you will see options to remove (Avast Cleanup in this example), click uninstall a component, and then click OK to confirm the un-installation of the component.
- Restart your PC if Avast asks, now check to see if the avast service high CPU has gone back to normal.
In case you doubt Avast behavior shield memory usage then you can repeat the same process to remove behavior shield. If this fixes the problem of avast service high CPU, then you can try turning it on again but this time CPU usage should remain unchanged.
Related: Avast Cleanup Premium Tool Review
Solution -2 Fix Avast High Disk Usage Via Command Prompt Tweak
Sometimes frequent background scanning also caused load on RAM or CPU. So if you change scan frequency the CPU load will decrease. It will disable background checks and monitoring but it surely decreases avast service high CPU.
- Press the Windows + R and type cmd and hit enter. Run Command Prompt as Admin.
- Type this command C:\ ProgramData\AvastSoftware\Avast and press enter. It will take you to the following folder where you will be able to execute further actions
- Open the avast5.ini file and insert the following command in line [GrimeFighter]: ScanFrequency=999
- Save the file and restart your computer.
Now check if avast service high CPU usage problem resolved or not. Still, if Avast using 100 CPU or disk issue persists then apply the next solution.
Solution -3 Update Avast Latest Version
Most of the time its the old antivirus version that causes problems, so it important for you to fully update both antivirus and virus definitions. You can easily update Avast antivirus, follow these steps;
- Double click on Avast to open it or click on its icon at the system tray.
- Click on Menu from the drop-down list click on Settings.
- Click on the General tab and then click on the update tab.
- Two update buttons are there, one of these buttons is related to the update of the virus definitions database and the other one is related to updating the program itself.
- Update both the database and the program. During this process be patient as Avast checks for updates online then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once its done check if the avast service high CPU usage problem has gone back to normal.
Solution -4 Check If Avast Screensaver Scanning is Active Although it Shouldn’t
Sometimes it’s the Avast screensaver that continue to scan even though the screen saver is not running. When this screensaver scanning continues in the background it causes high CPU usage. Although you won’t be able to see it in the Avast interface. To solve this issue;
- Right-click on a random file on your PC and choose to scan the file with Avast in the context menu.
- A scan result window should pop up and you will be able to see a list of scans that are currently running.
- Locate the Avast Screensaver scan and click the Stop button next to stop the process
- Now check if it resolved avast service high CPU usage problem.
Solution -5 Repair Avast From Control Panel
If nothing is actually working then it best to repair Avast using the control panel. Many users on forums have claimed that this solution helped them in maintaining avast service high CPU usage issues. After you did repair you will need to readjust settings. Before you apply this method make sure that you are logged in as administrator.
- Press Windows + R key, type control panel and then hit enter. Alternatively, if you are using Windows 10 then click on the gear icon in order to open settings.
- Once Control Panel opens, select its View as Category at the top right corner and click on Uninstall a Program under the Programs section.
- If you are using the Settings app, click on Apps and it will open a list of all installed programs on your PC.
- Locate Avast in Control Panel or Settings and click on Uninstall/Repair.
- The uninstall wizard will open with two options: Repair and Remove. Select Repair and click Next in order to fix the installation of the program.
- Now confirm the process. In this way, Avast will be restarted with the default settings which worked before the error started to occur.
- Click Finish when the uninstalled completes the process and restart your PC
- Now see whether avast service high CPU usage issue resolved.
We hope that these solutions will solve the avast service high CPU usage problem. If you have a different solution to fix avast service high CPU or Disk usage, then tells us via comment.