As Chrome web browser is used by millions of people for its quick speed and security, many people keep wondering why Google Chrome keeps opening old tabs at startup on Windows 10.
Normally, when we open Google Chrome we expect it to open a new tab at startup. But, it’s likely that we see multiple tabs opening from the last session where we left off.
Therefore, in this article, we will look at why Google Chrome keeps reopening tabs from the previous sessions and how we can stop Chrome from opening multiple tabs.
Why Google Chrome Keeps Opening Multiple Tabs at Startup?
So, the main reason why Chrome reopens tabs from the last session is because of settings called “Continue where you left off” which is enabled by default. There could be other factors as well. Hence, you see old tabs on startup.
How To Stop Google Chrome From Opening Old Tabs at Startup
The following methods will help you to stop multiple web pages from opening in Chrome.
Method 1: Disable the Continue Where You Left Off option.
- Open Chrome and click on the three dots at the top right corner of the window
- Select Settings
- Scroll down to the On startup section
- Select the Open the New Tab page option to stop websites opening automatically in Chrome
Method 2: Disable Chrome running in the background
When you exit Chrome, it does not completely shut down At startup, it may open up old tabs. You may have noticed this since you still get further notifications from websites. Furthermore, in this method, we solve this problem and prevent the old tabs at their startup.
- Just go to the chrome setting page.
- Scroll down and click on advanced option
- Switch off the continue running background apps when google chrome is closed off
- Restart the chrome
Method 3: Disable fast tab/window close flag
Fast Tab/Window Close is an experimental feature in Chrome that allows tabs to close much faster than they would ordinarily. Therefore, in this step, we will be disabling the “Fast Start” feature completely to stop Chrome from opening the last session.
- Close the all tabs and open a new tab
- Write into address bar or URL (chrome://flags/#enabled-fast-unload)
- And then press enter
- Click on the bottom down and then choose disabled from the list.
- And then click on the relaunch now to save the change.
- And then restart the chrome and see if Chrome keep reopening tabs from previous session
Method 4: Remove the google hangouts extension
When you have the google hangouts extension installed, it may prompt Chrome to open old tabs from your previous browsing session.
- Just go to the chrome menu
- Click to more tools
- And then select extensions
- Find out the google hangouts extension
- And switch off to disable the extension
- And then click on the remove button to stop Chrome from opening old tabs on startup
Method 5: Close the Background Process to prevent google chrome from opening old tabs at startup
Chrome might open up old tabs at startup if it is configured to run in the background. Therefore, we will be preventing it from running in the background.
- Press “Windows” + “X” keys simultaneously and select “Task Manager” from the list
- Click on “Details” and click on “Chrome.exe” in the list
- Select the “End Task” option to close the application
- Repeat this process for all instances of “Chrome.exe” in the list to completely close the browser