A media player codec pack is a collection of codecs bundled in a single package. These packs contain various codecs that support various media file types, including popular formats such as AVI, MP4, and MKV. A codec pack simplifies the installation process for users, as they can download all the necessary codecs for their media player at once.
Media player codec packs are handy for users who frequently encounter obscure or less common file types and those who use multiple media players on their computers. With a codec pack installed, users can play a wider range of file types without manually searching for and installing individual codecs for each file type.
It is worth noting that some codec packs may include codecs that are not necessary or may conflict with other codecs on your system, which can cause playback issues. Therefore, choosing a reliable and trusted codec pack is important, and ensuring that your media player is compatible with the codecs included is important.
Popular media player codec packs for Windows 10 include the K-Lite Codec Pack, the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP), and the Windows 10 Codec Pack. It is important to note that codec packs are typically only available for Windows operating systems, as macOS and Linux typically come with built-in support for a wider range of file types.
Overall, media player codec packs can be a convenient and helpful tool for expanding the range of media files that your player can handle, but it is important to use them with caution and to choose a reputable pack that is compatible with your system and media player. Before downloading and installing a codec pack, ensure it is compatible with your operating system and media player to avoid compatibility issues.
How to Download and Install Media Player Codec Pack for Free
- Click on the Download button above and a new tab will open directly to download Media Player Codec download.
- Open the downloaded file and the installation wizard will open.
- Select Easy Installation or Detailed Installation depending on your needs
- If you’re familiar with the codec you can choose the specific components you wish to install. Otherwise, it is recommended to accept the default option, there is no bloatware or malware in the installer, and click Install to proceed.
- The installer will ask if you want to install some additional software, such as antivirus protection. You can click the Skip All button to continue the installation.
- Some of the features will only work once you reboot your computer.
Free Alternatives to Media Player Codec Pack
K-Lite Codec Pack: Choose from Basic, Standard, or Full versions to download the codecs you need. Beginner-friendly automation or advanced customization is available for installation.
XP Codec Pack: Lightweight and easy to install, it adds essential audio and video codecs without unnecessary files or bloatware.
Supported Compression Types Include
x264 | x265 | h.265 | HEVC | 10bit x265 | 10bit x264 | AVCHD | AVC
DivX | XviD | MPEG4 | MPEG2 and many more.
Supported File Types Include
.bdmv | .evo | .hevc | .mkv | .avi | .flv | .webm | .mp4 | .m4v | .m4a | .ts
.ac3 | .dts | .alac | .flac | .ape | .aac | .ogg | .ofr | .mpc | .3gp and many more.
Resolutions Supported Include
SD (Standard Definition), HD (High Definition) 720p, 1080p, 4k (Ultra HD), and beyond.
Package Codec Components
- LAV Video decoder 0.76.1 x86 & x64 (XP/2000 version is 0.69).
- ffdshow DirectShow Video Codec 1.3.4533 x86 & x64.
- XviD Video (Encoder) Codec v1.3.7 x86 & x64.
- x264 Video (Encoder) Codec v44.2851 x86 & x64.
- Lagarith Lossless Video (Encoder) Codec v1.3.27 x86 & x64.
- LAV Audio Decoder 0.76.1 x86 & x64 (Legacy version is 0.69).
- Sony DSD Decoder 1.0 x86.
- DivX Audio Decoder 4.1 x86.
- DSP-Worx Bass Source Filter/Decoder v188.8.131.52 x86.
- Haali Media Splitter/Decoder 184.108.40.206 x86 & x64 – For MP4, MKV, OGM and AVI files.
- LAV Splitter 0.76.1 x86 & x64 (Legacy version is 0.69).
- ReClock Video renderer v220.127.116.11 x86.
- xy-VSFilter v18.104.22.168 x86 & x64 – Subtitle Readers.
- CDXA Reader v1.7.13 x86 & x64 (Legacy version is 0.69).
- Icaros 3.1.0 x86 & x64.
- Application Tuning – Changes the default settings for Media Player Classic, NVIDIA 3D Vision Player, and Stereoscopic Player.
- Media Player Classic Home Cinema 1.9.19 x86 (XP/2000 version is 1.6.8) – Selectable by right-clicking on any file.
- Disc Handler – For double-click playback on BluRay disc icons in Windows Explorer.
- Codec Settings GUI – This allows the user to modify codec, graphics, and sound settings.
- Codec Settings UAC (User Account Control) Manager – Copies settings between users.
- Update Checker – Checks for updates once every 7 days (Administrator only).
- Tray Menu – Gives easy access to codec utilities and allows fast audio profile switching.
What is Media Player Codec Pack?
The Media Player Codec Pack is a software package that combines encoder and decoder codecs for video and audio playback in one easy-to-use installer. It differs from others by featuring a diverse performance algorithm and hardware database, matching the best settings based on operating system version and CPU and GPU features.
What is in a codec?
A codec is a piece of software on either a device or computer capable of decoding or encoding video and audio data from files, streams, and broadcasts. The word Codec is a portmanteau of ‘compressor-decompressor’.
Depending on its function, a codec will sometimes be described as a splitter, reader, decoder, encoder, or filter.
Why use a codec pack?
A codec pack is a software package designed to install a large number of codec components in one go, as simply and efficiently as possible, or as in-depth as you might wish it to be.
The Media Player Codec Packs detect your operating system version, bit level, CPU model, and GPU model during installation, then install the codec components and applications to give the best level of compatibility, with easy-to-select recommended performance options. Options that would be incompatible with your computer are disabled.
Which versions of Windows are supported?
- Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8.0, and 7 are fully supported.
- Windows XP is supported by the legacy build of the Standard pack.
- Windows Server 2022, 2019, and 2016 are fully supported. Note: Desktop Experience should be enabled.