Diablo 4 is a highly anticipated action role-playing game that has been long awaited by fans of the franchise. However, some players have reported experiencing the frustrating issue of the game crashing when they try to Alt-Tab out of it. This can be particularly annoying for gamers who may need to quickly switch between tasks while playing the game.
The Diablo 4 Alt-Tab crashing issue can occur for a number of reasons, including outdated drivers, conflicts with other applications, and hardware issues. However, this issue can be resolved by updating the graphics drivers, closing unnecessary applications, disabling overlays, ensuring that your computer meets the minimum system requirements, disabling fullscreen optimization, changing the game’s display mode to windowed or borderless windowed mode, running the game as an administrator, or to disable compatibility mode.
In this article, we’ll explore some of these methods in detail, so you can get back to playing Diablo 4 without any interruptions.
How to Fix Diablo 4 Alt-Tab Crashing Issue
If the Diablo 4 Alt-Tab crashing issue still persists then try to restart the game, and run the game in window mode. If these foxes won’t work, then try the below potential fixes;
1. Update the Graphics Card Drivers
The first thing you’ll need to do is update your graphics card drivers. Once you’ve installed the updated drivers, try launching the game again and see if the black screen problem has been resolved.
In many cases, this should do the trick and get you back to playing WWE 2K23 without any issues. To update the GPU drivers, follow the below steps;
- Press Win + X on the keyboard and then click on Device Manager.
- Open the Device Manager again and expand Display adapters.
- Right-click on the graphics card, and click on Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for drivers and update the driver.
NVIDIA and AMD do release game-specific updates that you can download and install on your PC. But it takes time and if you are a newbie who doesn’t have skills then you might end up downloading the wrong drivers.
So, we suggest downloading Driver Easy software to update your graphics card driver quickly and efficiently. Unlike the device manager, it can update all drivers with a single click and has a border database for detecting the latest drivers.
2. Delete the Contents of the Diablo 4 Local Folder
You can fix the Alt-Tab crashing issue in Diablo 4 by deleting the contents of the Diablo 4 Local Folder. This is the most suggested fix by users on the Steam thread related to this error. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer and visit your Local Disk (C:).
- Navigate to: “Program Files (x86)\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo 4\Local”.
- Select all files and folders in the folder and delete them.
- Restart your PC and open Diablo 4 to check if the issue has been fixed.
3. Re-install the Game
If the previous methods do not effectively address the problem, it is possible that the issue is with the game’s installation. It may be necessary to completely uninstall the game and reinstall it from the official website. To prevent any potential permissions-related issues that could be causing the Diablo 4 Alt-Tab crashing issue, it is advised to install the game on a different drive. To do so, just follow the below steps;
- Open the Control Panel and select “Uninstall a Program.”
- Select “Diablo 4” and click the “Uninstall” button.
- Follow the prompts to uninstall the game.
- Restart your PC and reinstall Diablo 4 from the Blizzard website or Battle.net app.
- Launch the game and check if the issue has been fixed.
4. Contact Blizzard Game Support
Sometimes the issue can be related to game files or account issues. It’s also possible that your device needs further patching or configuration. These cases are specific and beyond the scope of this article.
If the above methods do not help you yet, we recommend you connect to the game support team and raise a ticket there. They will be able to help you better and eventually fix the issue for you.