Whenever you install the program on your PC, it creates a shortcut in the Windows startup folder. Each time you start up your computer these programs automatically run and make your system slow. For essentials programs like antivirus software and Firewall, it’s not a big issue but most startup programs only eat up your CPU memory and cause high disk usage.
If you disable startup programs you can increase your PC speed and its performance. Luckily Windows 7 and Windows 10 have their built-in utilities that let us manage, add, remove or disable startup programs.
In this article, I will explain how do I turn off startup programs on Windows 10 and Windows 7?
How To Disable Startup Programs In Windows 7 and Vista
To prevent programs from starting automatically in Windows 7, Vista, or XP, you need to run the MSConfig tool. It’s a built-in Windows utility that allows you to change startup programs, stop programs from running or disable them for the time being.
To run MSConfig follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu and type in the search box “msconfig.exe”
- When you see “msconfig.exe” press enter to open it up.
- Within the system configuration tool click on the “Startup tab”.
- Here you will see the list of startup programs, “Uncheck” the checked box.
- Click “OK” to save changes.
- The system configuration tool will ask you to either “restart” your PC or “exit without restart”.
This is the simplest way to disable startup programs in Windows 7.
How to Disable Startup Programs on Windows 10 and Windows 8
The latest Windows operating systems have made it easier to disable startup programs. To stop programs from running at startup windows all you need is to open “Task Manager”. To do that,
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC or right-click on taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Now click on “More Details” appearing on the left bottom side to reveal more information.
- Click on the “Startup tab”.
- Here you will see all Windows 10 startup programs.
- Select any Windows startup programs and press “Disable“.
Manually Remove Shortcut Folder
Most installed software tends to create a shortcut in the Windows startup folder. If you manually delete the programs’ file from this folder you can permanently disable startup programs on Windows 10 and Windows 7. Follow these steps:
- Press [Win + r] key and type this path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp and press “Enter“.
- Right-click on the program that you don’t want to open at startup and click “Delete”
If you can’t find the required programs’ shortcut in this folder then it means that it didn’t have a startup shortcut. In this case, you can use the task manager to stop apps from opening on startup windows 10.
How to Change Startup Programs On Windows 10
Sometimes essential programs don’t startup when the PC boots up. In this case, you need to Change startup programs and add that particular app to this list. To do that follow these steps:
- Click the “Start” button and find the app that you want to run at Windows 10 startup.
- Right-click on the app and select More options.
- Now select Open file location. It will open the folder where a shortcut of this app is saved.
- Note: If the Open file location option is not there or you can’t find a shortcut, then it means the app can’t run at startup.
- Now that the file location is open, press the Win + R key and type “shell:startup”, then select OK.
- It will open the Windows Startup folder.
- Copy and paste the shortcut to the app from the file location to the Startup folder.
Once you are finished restart your PC. The app will automatically add to the startup queue and will open when you turn on the system.
Download Third-Party Startup Manager Software
If you don’t want to go through the above-mentioned tweaks or you are a non-techie. Then the easiest way to stop programs from running at startup windows 10 or 7 is to download PC cleaning utilities or dedicated Start managers.
The advanced system optimizer and Ccleaner are the best computer cleaning software. They have a cool feature called startup manager where you can add, remove, disable any startup program. These programs are very easy to use.
If you have installed an Advanced system optimizer on your Windows 10 or 7. You can easily manage Windows startup programs. In this tool click on “Regular Maintenance Tab” appearing on the left side of the window and select the “Startup Manager button”.
A new window will pop up, click on the “Manage Startup”. You will see a list of programs that start up when your system turns on. Simple Uncheck the box and click “OK”.
In case you are using CCleaner then click on the “Tool” button appearing on the left side of the panel. Here you will see the list of all Windows 10 startup programs. To disable any of these programs simply click on its file and select “disable“. Afterward, you can also “Enable” the programs to startup.
This is how I Solved my issue and manage to stop programs from running at Windows startup and made my PC run faster.