Why would you need to install .DLL files on Windows PC?
It’s because when you uninstall programs from your computer, that shares .DLL files with other applications, those .DLL file also gets removed. Now when you run any program, app, or game an error message appears.
“This application has failed to start because dllName.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix missing .Dll files on Windows 10/8/7.”
If such an error appears on your Windows PC then a question pops up i.e. from where I can download and install DLL files on Windows 10, 8, or 7.
Don’t worry we have explained step-wise the correct procedure to successfully install and register the missing .DLL file in Windows.
What is .DLL File and is it a Virus?
.DLL file (Dynamic Link Library) is not a virus instead .DLLs are packages that contain important codes, data, or commands that are needed to run different Windows processes, apps, or games.
You can’t easily locate the .DLL files on Windows just by opening the folder in C. drive.
If you want to find .DLL files on your computer, search
- C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ on 64-bit Windows version or
- C:\Windows\System32\ on 32-bit in file explorer.
The process to open .DLL files is the same in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista.
Once you open the sysWOW64 folder, you will see many .DLL files that will show a missing .DLL file error if got missing. However, you can easily fix this problem just by installing missing .DLL files.
Where to Download Missing .DLL Files on Windows?
DLL files are the property of Microsoft that comes pre-installed in Windows 10, 7, 8, Vista, or XP. If it’s gets corrupted or mistakenly removed from the system you can’t find it on the Microsoft website.
Luckily we have genuine, untouched copies of missing .DLL files which you can install it later on your PC.
Before you download the missing .DLL file choose between 32-bit and 64-bit OS. Also, choose the latest version of .DLL files. The file will download in the .zip folder.
Where to install .DLL Files in Windows 10, 7, 8, or Vista
There are two possible scenarios when it comes to manually install .DLL files on Windows. Either it’s the Windows that causing the missing .DLL error or it’s an app.
How to install .DLL files for applications
Software and games need to load .DLL files to run properly. First, these apps locate the .DLL file from the application folder and if it’s missing. It will automatically check the Windows system folders.
If it’s missing then first install the .DLL file, here’s how
- Download .DLL File
- Extract the .DLL zip folder
- Now copy and paste the .DLL file in the same folder where the application .exe file is located.
- Restart your PC now try to run the software or game.
How to install .DLL files to Windows directory?
Installing missing .DLL files in Windows is different as compared to software.
- Open the required folder i.e. C:\Windows\System32\ (32 bit) or C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ (64 bit)
- Copy and paste the file into the Windows system folder.
- Now press Windows key + R, type cmd, and hit enter.
- Once the command prompt opens, run the resrv32 “name.dll” command line and hit enter. For Example: resrv32 vcruntime140.dll.
- Restart your computer and try to run that program that was causing the missing DLL file error.
This is how we successfully installed the missing DLL files on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.