Avast is one of the most well-known and widely used antiviruses for Windows 10 & 11 PC. But nowadays when Avast users attempt to reinstall the Avast antivirus after uninstalling it for any reason, they encounter a message that Avast Setup is already running, please try to start the setup later with a View Log option.
The most common reason behind the keep getting Avast setup is already running error is the instup.exe file at the backend. This .exe works to download virus definition updates. But if you attempt to end its function it will show the message that the operation could not be completed and access is denied.
Don’t worry if you are dealing with Avast setup already running error. Here we have explained the best fixes for Avast setup is already running error.
How to Solve Avast Setup Is Already Running Error
Here we have mentioned one of the best methods to resolve the Avast setup already running error on PC. Try all these methods one by one until you reach the method that helps you to get rid of this error:
1. Disable Avast Self-Defense Module
It is quite possible that disabling the Avast Self-Defence Module helps you fix the error because it offers protection to the antivirus itself.
- Start the Avast program.
- Choose Settings after clicking the main Menu.
- Select the Troubleshooting option at the end of the menu.
- Find out the option Enable Avast Self Defense Module.
- Uncheck the box to disable it and then select the OK to confirm.
- Try upgrading Avast after restarting the PC.
2. Disable Process in Task Manager
Killing/stopping the backend process of the insetup.exe file can fix this error.
- Find the instup.exe file after launching the Task Manager.
- Click on the End Task option after right-clicking on the file.
- After that, a message will pop up on the screen asking about the updated virus details.
If this method does not give you any advantage, then move to the next one given below.
3. Uninstall Avast Utility
According to some of the Avast users uninstalling the utility can solve the Avast update setup is already running problem:
- Download a setup file named avastclear.exe.
- Then by clicking on Avast Utility uninstall it.
- After completing the downloading, open the setup file and click on the Avastclear option.
- After that from the drop-down menu select Yes.
- Now PC will restart and enter Safe Mode.
- Click on Uninstall from the drop-down menu after selecting the appropriate antivirus version.
- Restart the PC and hopefully, you will not receive this error.
4. Run CHKDSK Command
If the above solutions did not help in resolving the error, you must see if there are any corrupted files on your PC.
- Open Run by pressing the Windows + R keys together.
- Then type cmd and hit the Enter key.
- Now type the “c: cd\chkdsk testing line” command and press Enter after the Command Prompt window pops up.
- The following message will appear if your PC has any corrupted files “Windows has scanned the file and found no problems”. But in case you have some, then you need to resolve it.
If that not works that no need to worry and jump to the next fix.
5. Uninstall Avast
Try uninstalling Avast from the PC and then reinstalling it, if the Avast setup is already running error is still not resolved. Default settings will be set again once you reinstall Avast. To uninstall it follow the process:
- Firstly, open the Control Panel by typing it in the search bar and then clicking on it.
- Click on the Programs & Features option.
- Right-click on Avast after locating it and then choose Uninstall function.
- Once it is uninstalled successfully then open your browser and download Avast from avast.com.
- Install it and check whether the error has vanished.
6. Repair Avast
An additional option is to let Windows search for bugs and fix them to patch the Avast automatically. Follow the procedure to do this:
- To open the run slot, press the Windows and R keys together from your keyboard.
- Then, type cmd in the empty bar and hit Enter.
- Click on the section named Programs & Features, once the Command Prompt window pops up.
- Find the Avast Antivirus from the installed programs list and right-click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the Repair option.
- It will scan the software to find any problems, if they find one it will resolve it.
- Once the scan process is ended, restart your PC and update Avast to ensure that the error is gone.
7. Contact Customer Support
Hopefully, from these solutions, one might help you in resolving the error. If your “Avast antivirus program Setup is already running error” is still not fixed even after implementing all of the above fixes then you should contact Avast Customer Care and ask them for help.