“The code execution cannot proceed because msvcp140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.”
When trying to open a program or PC game you may receive an error message:
“The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”
This error appears when msvcp140.dll is missing or not found on Windows 10 PC. In this article, we will explain how you can fix the msvcp140.dll missing error.
How to Fix MSVCP140.dll Missing Error on Windows 10
Note: You can also apply these fixes on Windows 7 and 8 (32-bit and 64-bit) OS.
- Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
- Reinstall the program or game
- Copy msvcp140.dll from another computer
- Get msvcp140.dll download from a trusted site
- Re-register the DLL file
- Run a virus scan
Fix 1 – Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
The MSVCP140.dll file is part of the Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package. The visual studio provides the necessary components to run all C++ applications on Windows PC.
The msvcp140.dll is included in the visual studio, in case you encounter the msvcp140.dll missing error, it’s because this DLL file got corrupted. So the easiest way to fix the msvcp140.dll missing problem is to reinstall the Visual C ++ Redistributable package from the Microsoft website.
To do that:
1. Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 download page, choose the correct language, and then click Download.
2. Select the appropriate file for your Windows version i.e x64 for the 64-bit Windows version or x86 for the 32-bit version).
3. Once the file downloads, double-click on it and follow the instructions to install it.
4. Now restart your PC.
5. Now run the program or game to check if the msvcp140.dll missing error still appearing or not.
How Do I Know if I’m Running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
To download the visual studio’s right version you must know if your PC is 64-bit or 32-bit. If you know which version of Windows is running on your system then proceed with the above-mentioned solution. Otherwise, stop at step 3 and;
- Press Windows logo key and type system information in the search box, press enter.
- By default you will see system summary, here you can see what system type you have. My computer is 64-bit based PC, so I have selected the vc_redist.x64.exe file and download it by clicking Next.
Fix 2 – Reinstall the Program or Game
As its error says that “reinstalling the program may fix msvcp140.dll is a missing problem”. Because if you simply reinstall the program, the msvcp140.dll DLL file will come along with it.
To reinstall a program or game follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel. To do that press the Windows logo, type control panel, and press enter.
- You can also open the control panel by pressing Windows logo + I > apps > apps and features.
- Here you will see a list of all programs installed on your PC.
- Right-Click on the program that is causing msvcp140 DLL error and uninstalls it.
- Click yes to confirm and then restart your PC
- Again reinstall the program or game
Now run a program to see if the msvcp140.dll missing error is fixed if you are still facing this problem try our next solution.
Fix 3 – Copy msvcp140.dll from another computer
Another simple hack to fix the msvcp140.dll missing error is to copy this DLL file from another computer and paste it in the right location of your PC.
Before you copy the msvcp140.dll file from another computer make sure that the versions (Windows 10/8/7) and architectures (32-bit/64-bit) of both operating systems must be the same. Also, you need a USB flash drive.
- Press Windows logo + E key to open File Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32 and copy the msvcp140.dll file.
- Open same location i.e C:\Windows\System32 on your PC and paste the msvcp140.dll
This fix will works if applied properly. Now run the program to check if the error persists otherwise proceed to our next solution.
Fix 4 – Download msvcp140.dll
You can instantly fix .dll missing or was not found problems if you download msvcp140.dll from a trusted website. The process is very simple just download the latest version of msvcp140.dll in the .zip folder.
Once you install the .dll file extract or unzip the folder. Now copy the DLL file and paste it in the system directory which is C:\Windows\System32. If it’s an individual program or game that is causing this problem then paste this file in the installation folder of that program or game.
Fix 5 – Re-register the DLL file
There are chances that msvcp140.dll is present on your computer but you may receive a missing or not found error. In that case, you need to re-register that DLL file using the command prompt. But first, go to C:\Windows\System32 from file explorer to check if your system has msvcp140.dll. Once sure follow these steps;
- Open Command Prompt as administrator and enter these commands and press enter.
- To register a DLL file type regsvr32 /u MSVCP140.dll
- To re-register all DLL files type regsvr32 MSVCP140.dll
It will surely fix msvcp140.dll was not found error on Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
Fix 6 – Run a virus scan
Sometimes malware or virus prevent the DLL file from being detected or execute. This is why you are seeing msvcp140.dll missing error message.
You need to remove malware from Windows PC using the built-in Windows defender tool but it’s unable to detect advanced malware. So you need to download an antivirus tool and run a full scan. Malwarebytes, AVG Antivirus, Avast Antivirus are reliable antimalware tools.
After the scan, if they found any malware or virus remove them and then restart your PC. Now run the concerned program or game.
Programs Where DLL Missing Error Appears
Most of the time when users run programs or games like adobe Photoshop, apex legends, Autocad, battlefield 5, binding of Isaac, PubG, crusader king 2, dauntless, dolphin emulator, origin, Fifa 19, grim dawn, GTA V, Adobe Illustrator, insurgency sandstorm, jump force, just cause 4, the kingdom comes deliverance, little nightmares, borderlands 2, civilization 6, or skype. There are chances that you will see msvcp140.dll missing error.