Is your Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset with link cable on PC but the Mic isn’t Working?
Oculus Quest 2 has a built-in Microphones system that helps you enjoy party chats while playing games on PC.
Don’t worry, We’ve got solutions for your problems. After reading this guide you’ll be able fix Oculus Quest 2 Mic not working issue.
Table of Contents
Run Oculus Quest 2 Microphone Test
To check if your Oculus Quest 2 Microphones are working. Follow the steps below to run the test;
- Connect Oculus Quest 2 to your PC.
- Select Start > Settings > System > Sound
- From here, go to Input > Test your microphone.
While wearing the Oculus Quest 2, you’ll see the blue bar going up and down- Now, speak a little louder to test if the bar is moving, then your mic is detected and working.
Try These Fixes To Resolve Oculus Mic Not Working Issue
Here are 7 ways that helped other users with the Oculus Quest 2 mic not working issue. You may not try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick.
- Enable Microphone Access
- Hard Reboot Oculus Quest 2
- Update Audio and Microphone Drivers
- Replug Oculus Quest 2 Headset
- Adjust Sound Settings
- Reinstall Oculus App
- Using Third-Party VR Software
Enable Microphone Access
Oculus Quest 2 Mic not working issue generally occurs when Microphone access is disabled. The easiest way to resolve Mic Not working issue is to enable microphone access to make Mic of your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset work. After ensuring the headset’s connectivity with your PC, follow the steps below to do so.
Open the Windows Start menu by pressing Windows Key on your keyboard.
- Choose the Settings option.
- In Settings, click Privacy to access Windows privacy settings.
- In the Privacy settings window, click Microphone available on the left pane.
- Click the Change button. If the microphone access for the device is not On, set it to On.
- Now, allow apps to access the Microphone.
- Select the apps you want to use for your Microphone.
After enabling the microphone access, check if the Oculus Quest 2 mic has started working or not. If not, proceed with the other fixes listed here.
Hard Reboot Oculus Quest 2
Rebooting Quest 2 VR Headset may solve the mic not working issue on PC.
- Press and hold down the Power button on Quest 2 until the shutdown screen appears
- Select Restart
- Once your headset has rebooted, you can try the microphone again to see if it is working.
Update Audio and Microphone Drivers
Mostly, corrupted, outdated, or missing drivers cause Audio or Oculus headset Microphone not working issues on PC. To enjoy the best VR gameplay ensure, that all your devices drivers are up to date. You can manually or automatically update your audio, graphics, and USB drivers to see if that fixes the problem.
Go to the Oculus support page and search for the most recent drivers for the Oculus Quest 2
Download the driver that is compatible with your windows version and install it.
Driver Easy is the free driver updater program that searches for the correct device drivers. Saves time, and easy to use driver updater program one-click drivers install.
Unplug and Replug Oculus Quest 2 Headset
This simple tweak has dramatically solved Quest 2 Mic not working issue. Just unplug the VR headset and replug it while running the Voice Recorder utility of your Windows PC. The simple trick has helped many users, and they have confirmed that it worked. If you haven’t tried it yet then, try it now.
- Plug the headset into your PC and enable Oculus Link.
- Type Voice in the Windows search box and click Voice Recorder.
- If Oculus Quest 2 is picked up in Voice Recorder, start SteamVR or your game, and the mic should work as intended.
- If the Oculus Quest 2 mic not working issue persists then, keep the Voice Recorder running.
Unplug the cable from your headset, Replug it back in, enable Oculus Link on Quest 2, and start your game.
Adjust Sound Settings
Due to wrong sound settings, you may be dealing with the Oculus Quest 2 mic not working problem. If so, you need to set your headset mic as the default device manually as follows:
- Open the Oculus app on your computer.
- Click Devices in the left-hand menu, then select Quest and Touch.
- Below Audio Output in VR, make sure that your Quest is selected.
- Right-click the speaker icon appearing in the taskbar and Open Sound settings.
- Under the Input section, choose Headset Microphone (Oculus Virtual Audio Device) from the menu.
- Now locate and click on Sound Control Panel.
- Click on the Recording tab to select the Oculus Quest 2 headset microphone and click Set Default.
- Click your mic again and click Properties.
- Go to the Levels tab and set the mic volume to the max.
- Now click on the Advanced tab and untick Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Reinstall Oculus App
Try to reinstall the Quest 2 application from their official site. Make sure you are running the latest updated Quest 2 software.
Using Third-Party VR Software
If the third-party VR software is installed on your PC, then make sure that Oculus Virtual Audio Device is set as your audio input and output source.