In this guide you will learn;
- How to Create Roles in Discord
- How to Assign roles in discord
- How to Add Roles in Discord Mobile
- Editing Roles in Discord Mobile
- How to Manage Roles in Discord
- How to Delete Roles in Discord
- How to lock roles on Discord
How to Create Roles in Discord
Before you add roles in discord, it is essential to set up your roles properly to manage your users on a Discord server.
Therefore, set basic roles before you start to invite people to the server.
Similarly, you can also go back and add new roles or reconfigure existing roles once you’re done setting up things.
- Log in to Discord.
- Access your server
- Click on the drop-down arrow to the right of the server name and click ‘Server Settings’.
- In the left pane, click ‘Roles’.
- You should be seeing a single role called @everyone
- Next, click the + sign there at the top of the center pane to add a role.
- Here’s the interesting thing. You name the role something descriptive and assign it a color because that separates it from other roles.
- Now, go through all the 32 permissions, and assign titles or ranks that you can give to members in your server.
- Save your work.
- For every new role, repeat the steps.
Now, when you assign different permission levels to different roles, you create a hierarchy of people you trust.
To new ones, you can assign lower roles and power roles to those you know well.
How to Add Roles in Discord
Now, that you have created roles for your server, you need to add roles to the users in your chat.
- From the right-hand pane, select the user you want to add the role to
- Select the small add sign + under the username and select the role from the menu.
- You’ll repeat this for every new role you add.
- You can also do this by right-clicking on the user, selecting roles, and then clicking on the role(s) you want to add in the pop-out menu.
- You can add roles in discord as many as you want.
Add Roles in Discord Mobile
Well, the instructions are more or less the same as above.
- Launch Discord on your mobile
- From Settings scroll down to members
- Tap on the username you would like to add role to
- Tap on the checkbox next to each member’s name for the role you’re assigning.
Editing Roles in Discord Mobile
Launch Discord > Server setting > Roles
- Tap the role you want to edit
- Scroll through the list and any necessary changes
- The above list will keep your Discord server organized and productive when you follow through.
How to Manage Roles
This is similar to creating new roles.
As the community grows, you can add others.
Put as much of your server’s policy decisions as possible in the @everyone role so that the users by default have the permission that you want them to have.
On the last column on the Roles page, you will also see the names of all the roles with a display of the color of the highest role assigned to the user.
This way users can easily recognize who the moderator, admins, etc. are on the server
How to Delete Roles in Discord
If your account is becoming cluttered with unused roles, here’s how you can delete them:
- Click on the small drop down arrow next to your server and select ‘server settings’
- Select Roles in the left pane and select the role you want to delete
- Scroll down and click the Delete button with role name written with it.
- Confirm by clicking “Okay.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some information about roles in this section:
How to self assign roles in Discord
To do that, you need to Open Discord > select the server > click Server name > Server Settings > Roles > Click on + Button beside roles. Now you can give a name to your role and also set the permissions they have on your server and save changes
How to Assign Roles With Reactions
- Log in with your discord account
- Authorize the MEE6 bot to access your account
- Select the discord server that you wish to add the MEE6 bot
- Click on Plugins and then Click on Reaction Roles
- Click Yes to enable the plugin
How to Separate Roles
- Select the server that you want to manage from the list on the left.
- Right-click on the server name or icon, hover your mouse pointer to Server Settings and select Roles
- Select which role to manage.
- Under General Permissions, turn off the permission to edit and delete other roles