In this short guide, you will learn how to allocate more RAM to Minecraft in 2021.
- Why you need more RAM for playing Minecraft?
- How to dedicate more RAM to Minecraft in 2021?
- How to give more RAM to Minecraft curseforge?
- How to provide more RAM to Minecraft tlauncher?
- How to allocate more RAM to Minecraft server?
Why you need more RAM in Minecraft?
Minecraft is your beautiful world of limitless possibilities where you build, mine, battle mobs, and explore the ever-changing Minecraft landscape.
It is breathtaking, absolutely stunning, BUT
The bigger and more beautiful your Minecraft, the more RAM you need to let your fantasy world run.
If you avoid that, the game will load slowly, frames will stutter and it might even crash.
For that reason, we will not let this happen to you – ever.
Note something: If you have Minecraft for Windows 10 (i.e. the Bedrock Edition), it automatically allocates RAM according to your game requirements.
The java version of the game gives you the ability to change RAM allocations.
These both can be played on Windows 10.
If you have the Java version of Minecraft, below are the steps to allocate RAM via the Minecraft Launcher.
Allocating RAM using the default ‘Minecraft’ launcher
You can dedicate more RAM to Minecraft using the default Minecraft launcher app.
- Open the Minecraft Launcher
- Click the Installation tab at the top
- Hover over to Minecraft version that you want to allocate RAM to.
- Click the three dots on the right and select ‘Edit’.
- Select ‘More options’ to bring down two additional fields
- Just there, at the beginning of the Minecraft JVM arguments field, there’s this piece of code that reads’ -Xmx2G’ or something similar to it.
- 2G represents the amount of RAM Minecraft can use.
- To add more RAM to Minecraft, change that number to the amount you want to allocate. Leave the remaining text as it is there.
Note: The amount of available RAM will dictate how much memory you can dedicate to Minecraft.
- Tap “Save” to finalize your changes.
Allocating RAM using the CurseForge ‘Minecraft’ launcher
- Launch the CurseForge app
- Go to Settings down in the lower left corner of the screen
- To the left panel, there’s a section ‘Game Specific’ in the settings page.
- Select Minecraft.
- Scroll down a little
- There on the right, you will see ‘Java Settings’ where you’ll see “Allocated Memory” with a slider.
- Hold the slider and drag and drop the orange ball to your preferred RAM allocation.
- Changes will be saved automatically.
This way you can allocate more RAM to Minecraft curseforge.
Allocating RAM using the ATLauncher ‘Minecraft’ launcher
- Boot up the ATLauncher and click “Settings,” located on the right panel.
- You will see several tabs.
- Click on ‘Java/Minecraft’ tab
- Down there there’s a list of adjustable properties.
- Now, you have to work with the second list. That’s the number you want to increase.
- Make sure to click ‘Save’ to the bottom to save the changes.
Read: How to Drop Items in Roblox
How to allocate RAM to a Minecraft server you run on a PC
If you are running your own Minecraft server then you have to add in more RAM to avoid game lag.
These steps are for servers running from a Windows 10 PC
- Open the folder that has all the Minecraft server files
- Right-click on any black space in the folder.
- Select New > Text Document. Leave the document unnamed for now.
- Double click the document and paste the following code:
java -Xmx####M -Xms####M -exe Minecraft_Server.exe -o true PAUSE
- Now, in place of ‘####’, insert how much RAM you’d like to allocate.
- Make note of the megabytes. For example, 2GB would be 2048 megabytes.
Here’s an example:
java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -exe Minecraft_Server.exe -o true PAUSE
- Click file > save as
- change the file type to ‘save as type’ to all ‘all files’
- Save it
- Rename it “file server launcher.bat” excluding the quotes
- This is now converted to new launcher for your Minecraft server.
- Double-click the new .bat file to run your server with the new amount of RAM.
This is how you can allocate more RAM to the Minecraft server jar
Here are some useful frequently asked questions
How do you dedicate 8gb RAM to Minecraft?
Under the option ‘game specific’ on the left, select Minecraft and then under ‘java settings’ adjust the slider to 8gb or desired memory amount.
Is it bad to allocate more RAM to Minecraft?
When you allocate too much RAM, your system lacks space which makes them even slower.
Is 8 GB of RAM good for Minecraft?
For heavier modpacks, you need 6-8 GB of RAM. A system with 16GB physical RAM should always be fine for the system.
Is 5GB RAM enough for Minecraft?
You’ll be good with 512MB or 1GB. If Minecraft lags, you can always upgrade your plan.
Why is Minecraft so laggy?
Your Minecraft lags because of high latency. Your internet connection is not reliable or gaming optimized and this is why it is causing a bad game connection.
How much RAM for Minecraft is too much?
Newer versions require at least 4GB of RAM dedicated to the game, especially if you’re using modes.
The older versions of the game can run comfortably on 1GB of Random Access Memory.
How much RAM should I allocate to Minecraft if I have 16GB of RAM?
6-8 GB will do for heavier modpacks and therefore, 16GB of physical RAM is enough.
How much RAM do I need for modded Minecraft?
Players allocate 6GB or more to keep the game running properly.
On heavily modded Minecraft, 8GB of RAM is a good place to start, with being better.
How do I make Minecraft run smoother?
Here’s an overview:
- Click Options.
- Click Video Settings.
- Set Graphics as Fast.
- Turn Smooth Lighting off.
- Turn 3D Anaglyph off.
- Turn Use VSync off.
- Turn View Bobbing off.
- Turn Clouds off.
Is 2GB RAM enough for Minecraft server?
1GB will do fine for basic small vanilla servers.
2GB is great if you’re also planning on to add some basic plugins or mods and increase your player base on your server.
Why does modded Minecraft use so much RAM?
That’s how Minecraft works. It needs to load the world around you. It is not like other games where the world is made to have only the things you need loaded.
Is 4GB RAM enough for Minecraft?
This is enough to run Minecraft, not multitasking like chrome and game.
How much RAM do I need for 100 players Minecraft?
You’ll need around 5GB per 100
How much RAM do I need for 1.16 server?
You should be good to go with 6GB.
How much RAM do I need to run all the mods 6?
To avoid lag or memory errors, order a minimum of 5GB of memory. If you’re playing with friends or planning on hosting a public server consider ordering 6GB or more.
Is 8GB RAM enough for Minecraft shaders?
8GB is optimal RAM memory. For gameplay I would recommend a Nvidia GPU with at least 2 Gigs of memory in that.
That’s all there is to it.
I hope you learned how to allocate more RAM to Minecraft.
Do share with us with what solutions worked for you.