Does God of War stuttering on PC or God of War FPS drop while playing on PC? Don’t worry with the fixes explained you can solve low FPS or stuttering issues once and for all.
Finally, the God of War is released for gaming PC and since then the players keep complaining that they aren’t getting the optimal FPS as they used to see on PS4.
So a lot of players want to fix the God of War FPS drop issue that ends up stuttering your gameplay making it not favorable to play.
Previously the PS4 users also reported the low FPS issue in God of War but once they updated the PS4 Firmware the problem was fixed. But now this issue has become a nightmare for PC users.
If you are also dealing with the God of War Stuterring or FPS drops issue then stick with us we have explained the tricks that will help you improve the performance. In the end, we have also explained the best graphics settings to play God of War on PC.
Related: Fixed: CSGO FPS Drops Randomly 2022
How To Fix God of War Stuttering and FPS Drops Issues on PC
While playing God of War on PC if you keep getting low FPS or FPS keeps dropping causing huge stuttering then apply the below fixes.
System Requirements To Play God of War on PC
Most of the time it’s your PC that has low specs causing the God of War FPS issues. If your PC won’t meet the standard system requirements then you won’t get the best gaming experience.
Below we have explained the system requirements, if you want to improve the framerate in God of war then you need to have this hardware on your PC.
|Avg. Performance||720p, 30 FPS||1080p, 30 FPS||1080p, FPS||1440p, 60 FPS|
|GPU||NVIDIA GTX 960 (4GB) or AMD: R9 290X (4GB)||NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6GB) or AMD RX 570 (4GB)||NVIDIA GTX 1070 (8GB) or AMD RX 5600 XT (GB)||NVIDIA RTX 2070 (8GB) or AMD RX 5700 XT (8GB)|
|CPU||Intel i5-2500k (4 core 3.3 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (4 core 3.1 GHz)||Intel i5-6600k (4 core 3.5 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 2400 G (4 core 3.6 GHz)||Intel i7-4770k (4 core 3.5 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8core 3.2 GHz)||Intel i7-7700k (4 core 4.2 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 7 3700x (8 core 3.6 GHz)|
|RAM||8 GB DDR||8 GB DDR||8 GB DDR||16 GB DDR|
|OS||Windows 10 64-bit||Windows 10 64-bit||Windows 10 64-bit||Windows 10 64-bit|
|Storage||70 GB SSD||70 GB SSD||70 GB SSD||70 GB SSD|
Note: First you should know your PC’s current hardware, in case you don’t know download Speccy and it will show up your PC’s specs instantly.
Update Your Graphics Card
As the game is recently released on PC so it requires the latest graphics card to give you the best gaming experience.
If the God of War Stuttering, lagging, or FPS drops it’s because you have an outdated graphics driver in your PC. You need to update them by installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s site.
There are two methods to update the graphics cards Manual and Automatic.
On the other hand, we suggest you use the Automatic method. All you need is to download Driver Easy on your Windows 10/11 PC. It’s a professional PC driver updater software that automatically scans and installs the outdated drivers on your PC.
Modify Graphics Card Settings
The God of War FPS drops issues also arise when you have configured the wrong GPU settings within their monitoring utility.
If you are using NVIDIA Control Panel, apply these settings:
- Exit the game.
- Right-click on a blank space on the desktop, and select NVIDIA Control Panel
- In NVIDIA Control Panel, go to 3D Settings > manage 3D settings > Program Settings
- Click on the Add buton
- Select God of War and click the Add Selected Program
- Set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
- Set Texture filtering – Quality to High performance
- Click Apply
The AMD GPU users apply these settings:
- Exit the game
- Open Radeon software
- Click the Gaming tab
- Select God of War
- Enable Radeon Anti-Lag
- Disable Radeon Chill
- Disable Enhanced Sync
- Set the Wait for Vertical Refresh to Always off
- Click the Advanced
- Set the Texture Filtering Quality to Performance
Turn On game Bar
The Windows 10/11 built-in utility was developed to improve gaming performance on PC. If you are struggling with the God of War FPs drops issue then try enabling this tool on your PC.
Windows 10 users follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key and search Game Mode Settings and hit Enter.
- Turn the Game Mode ON.
- From the left side select XBOX Game Bar and Turn it off.
Windows 11 users follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and on the left side click on Gaming.
- Turn off Xbox Game Bar and Turn on Game Mode.
Now play the game to see if it has improved the low FPS and stuttering on PC, if not then disable XBOX Game Bar and proceed to the nest fix.
Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
Hardware acceleration enhances the PC performance making it easy to play games on PC. Most users fixed the FPS drops and stuttering issue using this feature:
Windows 10 users follow these steps:
- In Windows 10, Press Windows Key and type Graphics Settings.
- Enable the option called Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling.
Windows 11 users follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key and type Graphics Settings.
- Under Default Settings, click on change default graphics settings.
- Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling.
- Below you will see a list of games you have on your system.
- Find the game and then click on options and set it to high performance.
Install the Latest Game Patch
To improve God of War performance on PC developers regularly release the game patches. Find the game patch and install it on your PC to fix FPS drop or stuttering issues.
If you are playing God of War on Steam then it will automatically detect the game patch and install it on your PC.
Change Windows Power Plan
Most users fixed the God of War Stuttering and FPS issue by changing the power settings on their PC. It allows the PC to pass more power to the CPU and GPU to get the best performance.
Follow these steps:
- Press the Windows + R then type powercfg.cpl and press Enter.
- Expand Hide additional plans and select High performance.
- If you can’t see this option then click on Create a Power Plan from the left panel and create a new power plan.
Now play the game to test if the problem is resolved if the issues persist then you need to enable the Ultimate Power Plan.
Follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key and search cmd.
- Right Click on Command Prompt and run as administrator.
- Paste the given command: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
- Now go back to the power options again and turn on Ultimate Performance Option.
Verify the Integrity of Game File
Sometimes the Stuttering or low framerate issue arises in PC games because there’s a certain game file that is either corrupt or missing.
In that case, it’s advised to check the integrity of games files using Steam. This process scans the game files and replaces the broken or missing file with the new one.
- Launch Steam
- Click on the Library and then right-click on the game and select Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify Integrity of Game Files button.
Override DPI and Disable Full-Screen Optimization
For some Redditers, this trick also helped them fix God of War Stuterring on PC. Apply these steps:
- Launch Steam and on the top left side click on Settings.
- Find the Library option.
- Enable Low Bandwidth Mode and Low-Performance Mode.
- Click on OK.
- Now again go to the Library and find God Of War PC.
- Right-click on it and then manage and then browse local files.
- Right-click on the .exe file and click on Properties.
- In the compatibility section, disable full-screen optimization.
- Click on Change high DPI settings and enable override high DPI scaling.
- Press Apply and then OK.
Close Background Applications
If you are playing God of War while running multiple apps in the background then you will most likely be stuck in FPS drops problem.
All you need is to close all the unwanted apps and then play the game. You can use the Windows built-in utility called Task Manager. Open it and see which app is consuming 100% or near CPU right-click on it to End Task it.
Steam, Discord, and other similar tools have the overlay feature that does enhance the game performance. At the same time, it’s also a cause why God of War stuttering or giving you low FPS.
All you need is to disable these overlays and then play the game.
Run God of War in DirectX 11 Mode
Players can fix God of War stuttering by forcing the game to play in DirectX 11 mode. Although DirectX 12 is the latest version it’s not stable.
So download DirectX 11 and then force Steam to run in v11 mode. Follow these steps:
- Go to your Steam Library
- Right-click God of War and select Properties…
- Under the General tab, add -dx11 to the LAUNCH OPTIONS. This will force the game to run in DirectX 11 mode
- Close the window and play the game.
Best Graphics Setting to Fix Stuttering and FPS Drops
God of War is recently released on PC so we have come up with the best graphics settings to play this game on PC without dealing with stuttering or FPS drops issues.
But before that, you have to make sure that your PC matches the minimum system requirements as explained above.
Applying the below-mentioned graphics settings will give you a whole lot of new experience while playing God of War.
|Display Mode: Borderless||NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency: Off [Advanced]||Texture Quality: Original|
|Output Resolution: 1920×1080||Latency Markers: Off [Advanced]||Model Quality: High|
|Aspect Ratio: Auto||Latency Flash: Off [Advanced]||Anisotropic Filter: Minimum|
|Vsync: Off||DLSS: Off||Shadows: Original|
|FPS Limit: Off||FidelityFX Super Resolution: Off||Reflections: Ultra|
|Motion Blur: 0||Render Scale: 100%||Atmospherics: Low|
|Film Grain: 0||Preset: Custom||Ambient Occlusion: High|